Israeli human rights violations in January 2022
In the month of January 2022 Staat van Beleg documented 1,944 Israeli human rights violations on the Palestinian people.
For more information about Israeli violations on the Palestinian people, see our archive or see the monthly reports of the Negotiations Affairs Department.
A selection of violations in January 2022
- A one-month-old baby, Murad Al-Bayouk, froze to death due to power shortages caused by the Israeli Siege on the besieged Gaza Strip.
- A 57-year-old Palestinian man died after inhaling tear gas fired by Israeli forces in Qalandia refugee camp north of Jerusalem.
- The 75-year-old Suleiman al-Hathalin who was seriously injured after an Israeli tow truck ran him over in the Um al-Khair area of Masafer Yatta succumbed to his injuries.
- The 80-year-old Omar Abul-Majid As’ad died after he was detained, blindfolded, cuffed and repeatedly assaulted by Israeli forces near Ramallah.
- The 25-year-old Mustafa Filna, a father of a 16-month-old child was killed after a Jewish settler driving at high speed ran him over as he was walking to his workplace.
- Israeli forces destroyed the Salhiyeh family home in Sheikh Jarrah just days after the head of the family tried to avert the demolition by threatening to blow himself up with the house. The family was awakened by heavily armed troops cutting off electricity to their home and firing tear gas canisters. Six members of the family were arrested in the raid. “They pulled my father out of bed, beat him along with my brothers and cousins,” 19-year-old Yasmeen Salhiyeh said. “The officers arrested them without giving them a chance to get dressed.”
- Israeli repression forces from Megiddo Prison attacked the rooms of the Palestinian prisoners while the prisoners were inside and destroyed their belongings.
- In the Negev we saw a brutal crackdown on Bedouins. A controversial forestation plan has once again cracked open tensions between Palestinian citizens and the Israeli state.
Israeli police arrest a Palestinian citizen from the Negev, during a protest against a forestation plan, 12 January 2022 (Photo: Reuters)
- A Jewish settler deliberately ran over a 48-year-old Palestinian woman in the occupied West Bank town of Al-Aqrabaniya. The settler also drove over a flock of sheep on the road and chased civilians. The woman has been taken to hospital.
- Settlers from the illegal settlement of Maali Amos, built on appropriated Kisan land, attacked two female shepherds, threw stones at them and set their dogs upon them and their sheep.